Monday, September 20, 2010

Complaints

My youngest child has never been to a “brick and mortar” school and thinks he is missing out on something. Today we are having scheduled class times and only minimal breaks between “classes” in order to demonstrate what “real school” (as he calls it) is like. I have just told him that if he continues to make noises he will sit in a corner. I hate being so rigid, but it seems some days like that is the only way to get through to him. I know that “unschoolers” would not worry so much, but I am not there. There are certain things he really must learn. He is very bright, but I don’t seem to be able to find a teaching method that he enjoys. Ah well. We can’t have everything, can we? At least I have discovered that my 14 year old likes to learn by lapbooking/notebooking. It has taken me only 4 years to figure it out.
Lord,
Help me today to be a kind, loving mother. Help me to discern which things to let go of and which things are less important. Please help me to not “lose it” with my son today as he tries to push every one of my buttons.
Amen.

No comments: