Sunday, August 24, 2008

It finally stopped...

...raining, that is. We have had almost 2 whole weeks without thunderstorms and torrential rains. I am SO grateful! I got to mow my lawn which had begun to resemble a hayfield. We took the 2 hour drive to Hampton Beach, NH not once, but twice. We went up last Sunday and yesterday. Both days were absolutely gorgeous. No one got sunburned yesterday, but my DH, who normally tans, did get a burn last week. He actually wound up blistering and peeling. He said it only hurt on his belly, although, his arms and shoulders were also quite red.

Normally, a trip to the beach would mean a lobster-red me, but I found a new sunscreen. The Coppertone spray on, 70 SPF sunscreen. It is easy to apply, and it worked..well, that and knowing enough to stay under my beach umbrella in the height of the sun between 10 and 2....
I did not get burned at all. I am excited about this. I have glow in the dark whit skin, so not burning is an achievement.

Last Sunday we stopped on the way home and explored some tide pools. There were snails more than anything in them, but it was fun for the children and a great way to show the effects of the tides. We were able to show the high tide line by the way the seaweed was in a line. What a great visual of a science topic!

I have come to realize that many of our everyday experiences are learning experiences. This means that, even though I do not formally do any school work with the children during the summer, we can slip in some "school" just about every day. We can discuss the science of tides at the beach, we can discuss chemistry while doing laundry (laundry detergent changes the ability of plain water to remove soils from clothing by making the water more "slippery"). The longer we homeschool, the more I realize how every day holds some learning experience, and the more I appreciate just how much "teaching" involved parents do on a daily basis.

Lord,
Thank you for the opportunity to show my children so many of the wonders you have placed in the world. Please help me to have a sense of wonder and to be like a child in examining all these wonders. They all point to you. Help me to recall that, please.

Amen.

No comments: