Sunday, July 06, 2008

Thinking

I was just thinking about how we lay people have a tendency to expect our priests to be perfect. I was remembering a priest who was at our parish many years ago (over 20). He was not a very nice person. He did not give very good sermons, and he did not know how to deal with elderly people. It occurs to me that I can be very much the same. Granted, I don't give sermons (except to my kids, who don't listen anyway), but I can be short with people, I can be judgemental, and heaven knows I can be a not so nice person.

I don't know if the priest I was thinking about today is still in this diocese, but I think the lesson is all of our priests need our prayers, not our judgments.

Lord,
Bless Fr. D.R. where ever he may be. Guide him in Your paths. Help him to shepherd Your people. Bless all those whom You have called to the priesthood. Help them to be the men You would have them be.

Amen.

P.S. MSS is still missing, although we think he is still safe.

No comments: