Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pondering

I have been pondering 2 Corinthians 12:9, "but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' I will rather boast more glad of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me."


This is an uncomfortable passage from scripture. It says that sometimes God's answer to our pleas, even if we say please, is NO. I know many Christians who believe what I refer to as "feel good theology." They believe the "God wants you to be wealthy" ideas of some of today's preachers. When they do not become wealthy, or they have difficulties, they wonder what they did wrong. They are judged as "not being good enough," or as being in sin.

My own understanding of God is different than this. It is my understanding that God loves us. We are called to know, love, and serve Him in this world so we can be happy with Him in heaven. This does not mean that we will have everything. This does not mean we will never suffer. This does not mean that we will never have hurtful or disturbing events in our lives. Indeed, we are told that we are blessed if we are hated for His name's sake.

I think of Job whenever I am inclined to feel sorry for myself. Sometimes I still rail a bit against whatever I perceive as "unfair." Often I wish the Lord would show me a little of the plan. He tells us in Jeremiah 29:11 that He has a plan for our lives. He tells us throughout scripture "be not afraid."

Dear Lord,

Please help me to not fear. Help me to trust in You. I want to be the mother and wife that You desire me to be, Lord. I want to live Your plan. I want to be in Your will for me. Thank for helping me to love the family You have given me. I recognize that love is an action word, not a feeling, Lord, and that each day I can choose to love or not.

Amen.

1 comment:

one_big_pain said...

There are several people in our church (not our pastor, though) who believe in the faith=wealth movement, too. They don't seem to remember the whole "love of money . . ." thing.

I struggle with verses like "If God be for me who can be against me" and "My grace is sufficient". I believe this with everything I am - but still fall far short.

Thank you for yet another wonderful prayer. -cindy