Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Lord's Day

I just came home from my dear friend Mary's home where we celebrated Lord's day. For those unfamiliar with it, the Lord's day celebration is based upon the Jewish Shabat, or Sabbath. It is a time to gather in celebration and to "usher in" the Lord's day with prayer and thanksgiving. There is singing and feasting. We gather as a community in Christ and have a "pot luck" meal. It was very nice to gather as a community and praise God together. This was Mary's Mother's Day gift from her family. She did not want anything more than her family and friends around her praising God.

Tomorrow I plan to see my mother for a while.

I received my mother's day gift this past Monday when my DH said it was time to replace my old, dead van. My old Plymouth Voyager had seen better days. On Good Friday (at noon, no less....) it started to leak antifreeze. Our mechanic took a look at it and said that the water pump needed to be replaced, but what concerned him more was the oil he discovered in the cooling system. This indicates only bad things in an automobile. He said it was his professional opinion that it would cost more to fix than the van was worth, and it would only nickel and dime us to death from here on out. We opted to not fix it, but that meant that I was pretty much a home body since then. The amount of freedom we have when we have a vehicle is incredible. I did not realize just how much time I spent outside our home until I couldn't go anywhere.

My "new" car is another used mini van, also a Plymouth Voyager, only newer than the last one. It rides very nice, and gets me easily from point a to point b. I am very grateful to have it.

Lord,
Thank you for the gifts of friends, family and freedom. Thank you for helping me to learn to love my family where we are at, and indeed, to love the family I have. Thank you for the gift of a loving husband who treats me like a princess in Your kingdom.

Amen.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

This was a really nice post. I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day!

Mary B said...

It was a fun night and I'm so happy for you that you have your car. Now, how is it when you are able to go places again, that's when you post again? Things that make you go hmmmm?