Wednesday, March 26, 2008

On Love

I have been reflecting on love. Love, as our society sees it, is hearts and flowers and googly eyes. It is a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Truth be told, Love is not any of those things. Love is an action, a choice. We can choose each day to love. This is frequently not easy. Our spouses do things which irritate us. They do things trying to help us out, but they do not do it OUR way. Our children are disobedient or disrespectful. They rebel. They do things which we have forbidden. They reject our beliefs, and sometimes they reject us. When all of these things happen, we can CHOOSE to gripe and grumble and throw our hands in the air, or we can choose to love.

Loving does not mean lying on the floor like a doormat. It does, however, mean accepting our families, our friends, even strangers, as people who are made in the image and likeness of God just as we are. It is realizing that despite all of the faults and foibles of those around us, God loves them as he loves us, and He calls us to “love one another as I love you.”(John 15:12b) This is our Lord’s call to action. It is not a passive, wishy-washy “love” feeling. It is what Christ showed us by example as He walked among us.

Our Lord fed the hungry, gave drink to the thirsty, forgave the sinful. These are all things that we are called to do in the great commandment of “love one another.” These actions are the visible sign of Christ’s love in us.

I know that I am frequently guilty of having a “poor me” mentality. I feel like a martyr when my family expects things of me. I throw my internal “hissy fits” when asked to do something I do not wish to do, and I give the deep audible sighs of one who is aggravated. I can only beg forgiveness of those around me for my impatience and ingratitude for the gift of them in my life and try each day to rededicate myself and my actions to our Lord. God-willing, I will get better at it as time goes on.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for the opportunity to reflect on Your words. Thank you for the gift of my family. Please help me today to be the mother and wife You would have me be. Help me to be patient and kind and loving to those whom You have placed in my care.

1 comment:

one_big_pain said...

"...lying on the floor like a doormat."

I have argued this point so many times. Being a submissive wife to me means Christ-like servanthood. His love teaches us to serve others, care for their needs. This is nothing like the doormat mentality so many think of it as.

Great lesson here!
-cindy