Saturday, March 08, 2008

Is it just me....

or does anyone else not understand the whole "women should be priests", etc? Personally, I feel that women have many important roles and that the priesthood is not one of them. I don't like to see girls serve as alter servers, either. Of course, my husband and I are members of the few who still believe that if at all possible, a parent should be home for the children. In our case, I stay home.

Now, I have not always stayed at home. I am an LPN by trade, and I am capable of earning decent money if I work. The cost to our family, however, would be enormous. When I did work outside the home and try to do all the "mom stuff" as well, I was a wreck. There were not enough hours in the day to complete everything. I was grumpy and short with the children. DH finally had enough one day and told me to quit my job. I did not need to be told twice. I gave my two weeks notice the next day.

Of course, there are many people in our lives who do not understand the choices we have made. My DH has heard many times that I should get a job to help out so he doesn't have to work so hard. My parents have told me that we should put our children in school and I should "get a little job." What many of these people don't understand, though, is that there is really no such thing as a "little" nursing job. In the world of nursing you can be compelled to stay overtime if there is a weather situation which makes it difficult for the next shift to get to work (I actually had to stay and work 24 hours once because of a blizzard.) You can also be compelled to stay if there is a disaster of any kind. This could be a bad accident, a natural disaster of some sort, an explosion.... On top of that, there is a huge amount of responsibility in nursing.

Well, that is my rant for tonight.

Lord,
Thank you for today. It was a very peaceful day, and I so needed a peaceful day. Thank you for answered prayers and prayers that I am still waiting for an answer on. Thank you for teaching me patience.

Amen.

2 comments:

one_big_pain said...

There are always going to be people who think they know more than you do about how you should be living. I'm not sure why . . .

You are blessed to be able to stay home. You and your husband are blessed to have shared beliefs and ideals. Stand firm!

-cindy

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I don't understand why everyone does not see how very much children need LOTS of time with parents, especially mom. It's the most important work a mom can do. Congrats to you and your husband for making the sacrifices to do what's best for your kids. I'm with you!!!