Saturday, May 12, 2007

Thinking about this:

This post over at Creative Minority Report really got me thinking.

Creative Minority says: “Look at our movie stars of old. Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, and Garbo. People love to say they were ahead of their time. I don’t think so. They were in a time when we were comfortable with big strong women. Compare them now to who? Demi Moore on a stripper's pole? Lindsey Lohan in...does she even act anymore or just bar hop?”

Today’s “starlets” don’t compare in talent to those mentioned above, however, Joan Crawford had her share of scandal (Can you say Mommy Dearest?). The humanitarian actress Audrey Hepburn is missing from the list. Not only was she beautiful and talented, but she spent time and money to care for others. In my opinion, Susan Sarandon is the only current actress with any true talent. She has played many diverse roles. Susan Sarandon, however, is not someone I want my children to view as a role model.
Personally, I would rather my children view Blessed Mother Theresa of Calcutta as a role model. She exemplified the Christian life. She did not pursue anything but service to others. She “died to herself” every day.

Our political figures are even worse than the actors and “sports heroes”. They can talk a good talk, but they do not walk the walk. There are very few people in politics who have earned trust. More over, they don’t seem to care. They promise us the sun and moon and don’t even try to deliver a moon pie. Voting frequently consists of holding the nose and choosing the least offensive person for the job.

Creative Minority Report asks, “Could you imagine Lincoln waffling on slavery like Rudy Giuliani contorts himself over abortion.”

I am imagining Lincoln scratching his head in perplexity at the current “politically correct” society. Lincoln had a backbone. Politicians do not have backbones now. They have polls. They flip flop on the issues according to the whims of those whom they have polled. I wonder if the polls were taken at any of the more conservative churches on a Sunday morning if the results would be a little different. Of course, I over heard a parishioner in my own church state that the Catholic Church makes too much of abortion. My reply was, “If we do not have respect for the sanctity of unborn life, we do not have respect for life at all.”

When I look around at what our world has become, and at all the moral relativism (I’m ok, you’re ok), I am astounded that God has not slain us all. There must be some of us who still love and revere Him, and He must be hearing from us, because He has not done to current society what He did to Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot’s wife was turned to a pillar of salt for looking back at what she was leaving behind. We must try to move forward and teach our children to move forward in the world without being of the world, and without looking back.
The things of this world are temporary. We must truly focus on the eternal. Of course, that is easier said than done.

Dear Lord,
Please help me to live as You would have me live. Help me to stay within Your will. You have made promises to us in Your word. I believe that You keep Your word to those who believe. Help me, please to teach my children to be more selfless and less selfish. Help me to also be less selfish.

Amen.

1 comment:

Rosemary Bogdan said...

I just saw Rudy Giuliani interviewed this morning on Fox News and I had to smart off back to the TV I was so frustrated, as he tried to justify his abortion positions. "Why don't you just say you decided to sell your soul for the sake of getting elected." OK, maybe that's a little harsh. But the doubletalk of people who way they are "personally opposed but..." just drives me nuts.
Hey, thanks for visiting my blog.